Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Checking out galleries

 No I'm not looking for another gallery to carry my work.  I am however, looking at lots of art these days because my painting time is so frustrating right now with my eye condition.  I can look at images without difficulty and I'm doing at lot of it.   When I travel, I always pick up exhibition cards from galleries  and store them in  a giant box .  Sometimes they never get looked at again, but that is not the case this week.  I dumped out my box and chose a handful of cards with work that interested me.  One thing almost all the images had in common was they were abstract or non representational.


Several of the cards came from one gallery  I visited  in Kelowna, BC last year.   Sopa Fine Arts carries an interesting range of artists and it is a lovely display space as you can see from the image above.    I was quite impressed because it was totally different from the kind of gallery I was expecting. Another big surprise was finding my summer neighbour's work on display in a joint exhibition.

So what did I like ?   There are so many I will have to write a number of posts to do the artists justice.  I'll start with Bill Gingles whose work has been floating around Pinterest over the last month. He lives in  the southern US.  I always find it fascinating to find an artist's work so far from home. Of his work he states that:

  "Each new painting reveals its own tendencies and surprises as it comes to life. Rather like children from the same parents, they are each at once individuals and siblings. It is because the life they share with each other is the life they drew from me."  

So from this intuitive approach his work is born.  His palette can be bold or subdued, but I noticed continuity in  his use of loops and swirls and luscious textures and subtle layers.  My personal favourites are his muted palettes where you really have to look to find the beckoning details of his work.  His use of a vertical grid with organic marks plays the structured against the organic thus creating interesting energy.  


 Sun Room, 48" x 36 " acrylic on canvas

Trading Books For Water 1, 30" x 24" acrylic on canvas

 
 Perfect Sinner 2,  60" x 48" acrylic on canvas

 
Rhapsody, 36" x 24" acrylic on canvas

Stay tuned for more artists over the next several weeks.  This is a great way to find out the elements of style that appeal to your aesthetic.  I've noted several aspects of Gingles work that I like, what are your thoughts? 


1 comment:

Carole Reid said...

Hi Margaret, I'm sorry to hear you are still not able to create your wonderful paintings. I hope that changes soon.
Sopa Fine Arts is a beautiful gallery. Did you visit the city gallery? It's one of my favourite galleries in BC.
Bill Gingles work has a calmness to it, even with the bright colours and loops.